Guest Info - Camila Arguello
Originally from Bogotá, Colombia, Camila Arguello has since lived in five different cities in the US. She discovered her passion for dating apps while navigating the highs and lows of online dating. A graduate of Linfield College, she holds a B.A in International Relations and a B.S in Psychology, with a focus on the intersection of romance, tech, and politics. When she's not editing profiles or talking about the modern era of romance, she enjoys food tours, dystopian fiction, and drinking mojitos with her best friend. Today, she is a retired Tinder-ee and lives in the Bay Area with her fiancé Dominic and their cat Rex Gladium.
Vicky sits down with author Camila Arguello and asks her all sorts of pointy questions about courage, shitty first drafts, and writing her book. Tune in to find out how this supercool business woman came up with her idea – and why it's important to do what YOU want, not conform to everyone else's expectations. There's also a brief discussion about Brooklyn 99, because it wouldn't be a 1,000 Authors Show episode without a random ramble.
- [0:50] A little bit about Camila and what she does.
- [5:35] Camila hears two sides of the story: That now is the perfect time to work more, and at the same time, that you should be resting and take it easy. Who should you listen to?
- [8:00] You don’t have to justify every decision you make to other people.
- [9:10] What do you want for YOU?
- [12:45] Why did Camila decide it was time to write a book?
- [15:35] Camila used to write men’s dating profiles and thought this would be an excellent book opportunity.
- [18:35] It was very hard for Camila to not use the backspace key when she was in ‘writing mode’.
- [20:35] You can get a lot done when your brain is not overthinking things.
- [22:55] What was the editing process like for Camila?
- [27:30] How is Camila selling her book?
Mentioned in This Episode:
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.
Want to read the transcript? Click below...
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we'll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow the 1000 Authors With Moxie Podcast using your favourite app:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she's not doing that, she's hanging from a trapeze by her feet.