Guest Info - Lisa Mullan
A biochemist by training, slightly maverick by design.
She passionately believes children are much more capable than we give them credit for. Her characters are slightly wacky types looking for adventure on the outside. On the inside they are subliminal science gurus, inveigling DNA representation into a child's imagination.
Nerdfest! Women in science! Writers! This week, Vicky is joined by biochemist Lisa Mullan, who turns DNA into little characters and writes stories to help children learn. Science and storytelling - two of our favourite things. Tune in to find out how Lisa uses storytelling to educate... and why it's crucial no matter what industry you're in.
- [1:15] A little bit about Lisa and what she does for...science!
- [3:05] How did Lisa go from PhD to teaching children?
- [9:25] Where is the future of science headed?
- [10:15] What are Dinky Amigos?
- [15:10] Lisa tries to think like a child when she writes her books and repeats complex concepts in different ways to help them understand.
- [17:15] Why is storytelling so important in education?
- [23:40] Why are school textbooks so dry? Adults learn through storytelling as well.
- [28:10] Lisa discusses why she decided to write a new book about COVID.
- [29:40] Education in a traditional institution is suffering.
- [32:30] YouTube is an amazing resource for learning. There is even a song that teaches you the 100 digits of pi!
- [38:05] Lisa’s tip for storytelling: Make it age appropriate and weave the education and information in.
Mentioned in This Episode:
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.
Want to read the transcript? Click below...
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we'll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow the 1000 Authors With Moxie Podcast using your favourite app:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she's not doing that, she's hanging from a trapeze by her feet.