In this week’s episode, Vicky and Joe ruin stories for you forever. Just kidding. But they do utterly spoil The Martian, so if you haven’t read or seen it yet, go and do that now, and then come back. Okay. Are you back? GREAT. Now listen in and find out what’s the difference between a story and an anecdote, why boring stories are boring, and how you can make all the stories you tell great. Oh, and why you don’t have to be a great writer to be a great storyteller. There’s gold in this one. GOLD.
- [0:45] Vicky made a cake! It was so good!
- [4:55] Lots of fun updates about what’s happening at the Dingle!
- [7:00] What makes a good story?
- [8:15] How the story is written doesn’t matter as much as the structure does!
- [11:40] Story is also not the same as the plot.
- [13:50] Vicky shares what a good story structure looks like.
- [15:15] Let’s deconstruct the book ‘The Martian’ and how the story is structured.
- [21:00] Vicky is always working on her storytelling skills!
Mentioned in This Episode:
Email Vicky: firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we'll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow the 1000 Authors With Moxie Podcast using your favourite app:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she's not doing that, she's hanging from a trapeze by her feet.