Guest Info - John Holcroft
I help the people who've seen an opportunity for an app. Where technology can help in solving a human problem. Yet are wondering, “Where do I start?” Or don’t know much about the process other than that it involves programmers at some point. Or wonder how you can make something that matches your vision and makes a real difference when you don’t have the resources of a mega corporation.
Writing a book is not a linear journey—and although it's amazing, it's also haaaaaard! Vicky interviews John Holcroft about the book he's writing—and he shares the most awesome advice and insights about how to talk to people (or really how to listen) and how to make people want to talk to you, instead of climbing out of bathroom windows to escape. Enjoy!
- [2:15] A little bit about John and how he got into this line of work!
- [2:55] Want to know if your product will work? Talk to your clients!
- [3:10] People are afraid to talk to their ideal clients about their product. However, launching a product no one wants is even worse!
- [7:10] How do you talk to your ideal client? John shares how he got over the anxiety of interviewing his ideal client.
- [8:55] Hard pitching people doesn’t work!
- [14:20] We’re not taught to have the hard conversations. Practicing this skill takes time.
- [15:05] Most people are just waiting for their turn to talk.
- [17:45] John shares a client story where things went horribly wrong.
- [20:15] When John launched his beta course, it was scary. He didn’t know if it would work, but he knew he had to collect feedback.
- [22:00] When you talk to people who want your service, you’re able to cut the fat really quickly and condense your product offering down to something people REALLY want.
- [22:20] When is John’s new book coming out?
- [24:50] The biggest step to writing your book (sounds dumb, but) is writing. You have to take that first step.
- [27:00] John had to overcome his perfectionist tendencies when writing. It was a real challenge.
- [29:10] The first draft is for your eyes only. Don’t try to perfect it just yet. Write for you in the beginning.
- [30:35] Vicky has some rapid fire questions for John.
- [31:45] How do you make your product special? By making it useful!
- [37:10] Want to grab a hold of John’s book? He’s got a secret ‘beta readers only’ copy out now. Connect with him through his website!
Mentioned in This Episode:
Email Vicky: Vicky@vickyfraser.com
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we'll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow the 1000 Authors With Moxie Podcast using your favourite app:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she's not doing that, she's hanging from a trapeze by her feet.