Guest Info — John Holcroft
"Tell me what you want, what you really, really want."
Am I offering the right product or service? Will this new idea for a business work? You can save yourself a fortune in time, money and stress the earlier you find out. After doing everything wrong in his first start-up, and going broke in the process, John discovered how to find out. It isn't pitching. It's listening and caring. It's talking to your clients and helping them share what matters. This is what John's new book 'Be A Client Whisperer' is all about....
Vicky is back with John Holcroft to talk about the book writing process! How did John get started? What challenges did he face, and how did he overcome them? And what does he have on his bedside table? Discover all this and more in this week’s action-packed episode. Enjoy!
- [3:15] There is a high failure rate with building software because it’s often not useful for prospects to use.
- [8:10] How long does it take to write a book?
- [10:15] John started recruiting people for his book early on in the process.
- [14:00] John learned in school that he hates writing.
- [20:05] Want to know what John’s book’s about? He’s got a TL;DR version!
- [24:55] John shares some storytelling lessons he learned from Pixar.
- [31:25] Some of John’s best feedback were the shortest.
- [33:05] John had his daughter read his book, and even though it wasn’t his target audience, she had a lot of very useful feedback from home about readability.
- [37:45] John recognizes that there were so many people who helped his book come into existence.
- [40:45] John thought he was writing ‘not a real’ book because it was too short.
- [50:05[ What is John thankful for right now?
- [51:50] Interested in John’s book? It’s on Amazon!
Mentioned in This Episode:
Email Vicky about 1:1 coaching at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we'll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow the 1000 Authors Podcast using your favourite app:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she's not doing that, she's hanging from a trapeze by her feet.