Grab a cuppa and settle in while Vicky holds her very own TED Talk on why snobbery about self-publishing can get in the bin. Yep: riffing off an article in which someone wrote “self-publishing is an insult to the written word”, Vicky and Joe present their case for why actually self-publishing is a shining beacon of awesomeness. Tune in for that, and the pros and cons of traditional publishing and self-publishing, so you can make an informed decision. Ciao!
- [5:45] Vicky has no problem abandoning books she doesn’t enjoy.
- [9:15] Vicky and Joe just got back from Barcelona!
- [13:15] Just because you’re independent, doesn’t mean your book needs to look like it too.
- [13:50] A book, on the shelf, should look like it came from a traditional publishing house!
- [14:25] The layout of the book.
- [17:55] Huge layout mistake!!! Odd and even pages.
- [21:25] Page numbers help readers navigate, but they don’t need to be on every page.
- [22:45] Let’s talk about book covers.
- [25:20] Book paper? Use the best paper stock you can afford.
- [27:35] Fonts! What fonts should you use?
- [29:45] Vicky has a checklist for clients to help them through this process.
- [31:45] Pay attention to the details!
Mentioned in This Episode:
Email Vicky about 1:1 coaching at: email@example.com
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we’ll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow the 1000 Authors With Moxie Podcast using your favourite app:
Read the transcript:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she’s not doing that, she’s hanging from a trapeze by her feet.