Join Vicky, Joe, and Beetrice the Bee for the latest episode in the Writing Excuses series. Learn about the power of focus, and why you shouldn’t pay too much attention to your competitors – all from Vicky’s resident bee. Our hosts talk copying, innovating, and the best thing to do with your competitors. Enjoy!
- [4:50] Vicky and Joe share their quarantine chronicles.
- [6:55] Procrastinating? Tell yourself you’re going to do something for 5 minutes. There’s lots of power in just starting something.
- [8:40] A common worry among authors or professionals is that if they write a book, their competitors are going to steal their secrets!
- [11:55] No one does it quite like you. They might know your process or framework, but they don’t have your thought process and style.
- [12:35] Let your competitors do what they do. Concentrate on your own future instead!
- [15:15] If someone actually steals your IP, get your lawyers involved. Other than that, don’t worry about it!
- [17:50] Books are not designed to have the latest cutting-edge ideas. So, are your theoretical competitors really going to steal and benefit off of your ideas?
- [21:40] If your competitors are trying to copy you, they are not going to do that great of a job.
- [23:15] Keep your eyes on the prize and let your competitors do whatever they’re going to do. Don’t let them stop you from writing a book.
- [23:40] Vicky reads out an iTunes review!
- [25:50] Vicky has a writing prompt session for you! It’s live! Link in the resources! Mentioned in This Episode:
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we’ll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow the 1000 Authors With Moxie Podcast using your favourite app:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she’s not doing that, she’s hanging from a trapeze by her feet.