Guest Info – Joanna Penn
Joanna Penn helps authors make a living writing through her bestselling books, courses and podcast. She’s an award-winning entrepreneur, international professional speaker and also writes bestselling thrillers and dark fantasy novels.
Vicky is extremely excited this week because she invited Joanna Penn onto her podcast—and Joanna said yes! Come and join us as we wend our way through theology degrees, travelling, career-changing decisions, the joys of indie-publishing, and how writing fiction is different from non-fiction. Bonus ribbons: I asked Joanna about how to get started writing fiction and her generous and full answer knocked my socks off. Enjoy!
- [3:35] A little bit about Joanna and the work that she does!
- [9:55] How did Joanna transition from the corporate world to being her own boss?
- [14:25] Technology is great! It’s removed barriers to creating and publishing your own art out there.
- [16:45] When the Kindle came out, the whole world changed!
- [17:50] Passionate about the future, Joanna shares what she’s looking forward to in the next couple of years.
- [19:45] How will traditional publishing change over time?
- [21:25] What inspired Joanna to write fiction?
- [27:35] Joanna shares what kind of mindframe you need to be in to write fiction.
- [32:50] If you’re an expert in a particular writing style, you just have to let that go and learn something new when writing fiction.
- [34:50] Joanna shares a little bit about the traveling memoir she’s writing.
- [37:45] Want to write in a genre? Spend some time studying the greats!
- [40:35] Don’t write things you think you ‘should’ write. Mentioned in This Episode:
Email Vicky: Vicky@vickyfraser.com
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we’ll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow the 1000 Authors With Moxie Podcast using your favourite app:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she’s not doing that, she’s hanging from a trapeze by her feet.