This week, Vicky and Joe talk about why we shouldn’t burst our own balloons and downplay our achievements. That’s after Vicky goes on a 5 minute rant about why The Wheel of Time is not something you should read if you want good epic fantasy. So: if you’ve ever thought that self-publishing is “vanity” or that you need a book deal to make your book “worthy,” grab a cup of tea, settle down, put aside your prejudices, and listen to this. Maybe we’ll change your mind.
- [4:15] Vicky explains why she couldn’t get behind the Wheel of Time book series.
- [9:45] Self publishing vs. traditional publishing? What’s right for you?
- [11:25] Publishing a book, doesn’t matter in what way, is a big deal! Don’t discredit it if it’s self published.
- [14:45] Why is self publishing a cool, and completely legitimate, thing to do?
- [16:05] What is the reason why you want to write a book?
- [18:50] Traditional publishing doesn’t always know what they’re talking about/doing.
- [20:00] Are straight white male authors at a disadvantage?
- [23:50] You will not make money off of your book if it’s traditionally published.
- [24:00] There are pros and cons to both methods of publishing. Choose with intention, not with vanity.
- [26:15] Interested in working with Vicky? Reach out! Mentioned in This Episode:
Email Vicky about 1:1 coaching at: email@example.com
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we’ll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow the 1000 Authors With Moxie Podcast using your favourite app:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she’s not doing that, she’s hanging from a trapeze by her feet.