Join Vicky and Joe as they not so much announce with fanfare but blurt out the podcast name change—and then pay close attention because Vicky’s super-excited about Jarvis Cocker’s new memoir. Which leads on a little side-quest about the difference between memoir and biography, but it’s worth it. Then onwards to the main event: writers you should check out because they’re full of ideas you can steal and adapt—meandering to a close with David Sedaris’s not-so-secret weapon for always having something interesting to write about.
- [2:35] Vicky is officially changing the podcast name!
- [5:35] India is a massive place!
- [7:45] Vicky loves the concept that Jarvis Cocker did for his book – writing about the memories and things he’s found in his attic.
- [11:50] Project Dingle update!
- [13:45] Let’s talk about Nick Cave
- [16:20] Nick has lost two children.
- [17:30] Shoutout to Ann Handley!
- [19:40] Why is David Sedaris such a great storyteller?
- [24:15] Joe explains how entertaining spinning porridge is.
- [29:05] Vicky has 5 book coaching openings if you’re interested in getting a breakthrough!
Mentioned in This Episode:
- James Pogson (poetry, writing, LI)
- Ann Handley (Total Annarchy newsletter)
- Authors + essayists: Joan Didion, David Sedaris, Roxane Gay, Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie, Octavia Butler, NK Jemisin
- Atlas Obscura
- Slightly Foxed magazine + podcast
- The Atlantic + New Yorker
- The Idler
- Nick Cave: The Red Hand Files
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we’ll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow the 1000 Authors With Moxie Podcast using your favourite app:
Read the transcript:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she’s not doing that, she’s hanging from a trapeze by her feet.