If you could write an out of office autoreply with no consequences, what would you write?
I saw some really funny examples a while ago and it got me thinking.
Most autoreplies are really dull or super-pretentious:
- I’m out of the office for three days and back on xxx date. YAWN.
- I’m taking some much needed and well-deserved me time, you should too, blah blah blah.
How about, instead:
- I’m done with this bullshit for 3 weeks. Hurrah!
- I am on annual leave until dd/mm/yyyy. I will allow each sender one email and if you send me multiple emails, I will randomly delete your emails until there is only one remaining. Choose wisely. Please note that you have already sent me one email. ← saw this online and it cracked me up.
- Imagine I’m holding a sign that says “what would you do if I wasn’t here?” then do that! Because I’m not here! I’m on a beach hurrah!
- Hi, I’m Vicky’s autoresponder. Vicky can’t come to the laptop right now, but if you leave a message, she’ll get back to you in 3 weeks. That’s 1 week for holiday and 2 weeks to delete all the emails piling up. Honestly, you have no idea what it’s like being an autoresponder. I’m not sure I can take the stress.
Set a timer and start outrageously—then ramp it back and see if you can come up with a cool, interesting, quirky out of office reply that makes people smile.
p.s. Connect with me on Instagram and share your experience with the community. Share your writing if you want to—we'd love to read it! Tag @tinybeetlesteps and follow the hashtags #moxieMAY and #tinybeetlesteps
Notes in the Margin
Sign up below for regular emails on creative writing, indie publishing, and the wonders of books.