In an incredible twist of irony, Vicky and Joe are talking about how to avoid looking like an amateur, whilst doing a tremendous job of being absolute amateurs on this podcast. Enjoy the uncontrollable fit of giggles while Joe fails to find his forehead with his own hand, and then settle in as our hosts share the most common mistakes first-time authors make with their books. Just because your book is self-published doesn’t mean it needs to LOOK self-published. Check this out…
- [2:25] Vicky dyed her hair and now she has blue ears.
- [6:15] Just because you’re self published doesn’t mean you have to look self-published!
- [8:35] Do not do your book cover yourself.
- [11:05] Odds numbered pages are always, always on the right hand side.
- [11:45] Let’s talk about inner book navigation.
- [15:40] The white spaces and margins are a dead giveaway whether something has been published vs. self-published.
- [20:00] How should you think about text layout?
- [22:05] Hiring certain professionals in this process is money well spent.
- [24:15] Check the little details! Vicky shares what she means.
- [26:10] Interested in barcode readers? Joe knows the answer to it.
- [27:45] Just become a person who writes everyday.
- [29:55] How do you finish a chapter? Tune in next week! Mentioned in This Episode:
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.Want to read the transcript? Click below…
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we’ll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow the 1000 Authors With Moxie Podcast using your favourite app:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she’s not doing that, she’s hanging from a trapeze by her feet.