This week, Vicky interviews dentist extraordinaire, Dr. Karl Walker-Finch, about his new book In the Loupe. Dr. Karl and Vicky worked together in the early stages of writing his book — and he released it into the wild this month! Listen in and find out about Dr. Karl’s writing process, how he approached the structure, what he enjoyed and what he found challenging, and why music features so heavily in a book about the world of dentistry.
A little bit about Dr. Karl:
Dr. Karl Walker-Finch is a dentist, mentor, lecturer, writer, father, personal development champion and mental wellbeing advocate.
He graduated from Liverpool Dental School in 2010 and after nearly five years working on the Wirral, he moved with his wife Marisa to West Yorkshire where they started a family. Together they now own Smiles in Tandem, Huddersfield, a clinic that provides care for patients’ dental and mental wellbeing in tandem.
Clinically, he spends the majority of his time providing dental implants and oral rehabilitation treatment on referral. Following his MSc in Dental Implantology with Distinction in 2017, he is now a senior mentor and lecturer on the master’s programme at the University of Salford in association with ICE.
- [2:05] Dr. Karl published his first book!
- [5:15] How did Dr. Karl organised his writing time?
- [10:15] Dr. Karl is happy that he wrote a book that represents himself at this point in time.
- [16:15] How did Dr. Karl decide to structure his book?
- [22:00] Dr. Karl had to do a lot of trial and error to find the right flow for him.
- [24:45] What has Dr. Karl done to promote his book?
- [31:00] Dr. Karl shares what he hopes people will get out of the book.
- [38:20] Would Dr. Karl write another book? Yes he would!
- [44:00] What are some of Dr. Karl’s favourite books?
- [47:30] Want to know more? Follow Dr. Karl on social media!
Mentioned in This Episode:
Email Vicky about 1:1 coaching at: email@example.com
Buy Karl’s book here: https://amzn.to/3Z3XLxz
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we’ll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow Notes in the Margin using your favourite app:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she’s not doing that, she’s hanging from a trapeze by her feet.