Friend of the podcast, Sharon Hurley Hall, is back to talk about her new book I’m Tired of Racism: True Stories of Existing While Black — and we had a blast! Come and join us and hear us go on a safari about how awesome How to Get Away with Murder is, and what it’s like living in a bunch of different white majority countries when you’re not white, and what we can all do, collectively, to the make the world a better place for everyone.
- [3:00] A little bit about Sharon and why she wanted to write a book about racism.
- [5:50] What is Sharon’s hope for the book?
- [6:40] One of Vicky’s favorite chapters was, ‘Not All Black People.’
- [9:50] How can people widen their reading beyond non-fiction books?
- [11:00] Black authors are in the various genres are everywhere if you choose to look for it.
- [13:10] What is the biggest misconception people have about racism?
- [17:00] Sharon details some of her more ‘nuanced’ experiences with how people have treated her. It doesn’t have to be so blatant, but the subtle message is often loud and clear.
- [21:15] What can you do to make it better for others of a different race?
- [24:40] There is so much power in having conversations and allowing other people to be heard.
- [29:00] There are always two sides of the story. We only hear from the victors. It’s time to hear from those who were marginalised, too.
- [31:55] Why do so many Black people have such unique names?
- [35:25] All of our names mean something, it’s just that we’ve forgotten the history behind it.
- [38:00] Want more of Sharon? She has a premium newsletter for you to subscribe to!
Mentioned in This Episode:
Want to know more? I’ve written a book, you know. You can get your mitts on it here.
Ask a Question!
Got any questions about how to write a book? Or about small business marketing? Send us an email and we’ll answer it on the podcast!
Subscribe & Download
Listen on the go! Follow Notes in the Margin using your favourite app:
Start Writing Your Book Today
If you want to learn more about how to write, self-publish, and market a book for your business, snaffle yourself a copy of How The Hell Do You Write A Book? Then check out the blog and podcast for more articles and guides. If you want a little (or a lot) more help, find out how you can work with me.
Vicky Fraser is the founder of Moxie Books and author of How The Hell Do You Write A Book and Business For Superheroes. She helps business owners write life-changing books, connect with readers and new customers, and grow their businesses. When she’s not doing that, she’s hanging from a trapeze by her feet.